Friday 14 June 2019

Japan: between East and West


Visiting Japan was a unique experience. I travelled with a friend of mine from Rome and spent time with my daughter too, who lives in Tokyo attending a Master in Fashion and Design at the Bunka Gakuen University. We went in April, cherry trees were in bloom, the weather was nice most of the time and there were plenty of interesting sites to see. We had a good time all together, though a bit tiring, but we are getting old. I had terrible back pains sometimes, apparently due to my muscles tightening because of muscle strain. My friend had a hip replacement four months before and had to take it easy. For this reason, we visited only Tokyo and Kyoto as we did not have enough time and energies to travel to other beautiful places such as Nikko, Mount Fuji, Osaka or Hiroshima. You can read my travel journals here:
The experience was definitely engrossing and worth doing. At first impact everything seemed similar to home, but then interesting subtle differences stood out and intrigued me. I wished to know more. In Japan there are contrasts, as in every society, which are cleverly blended and nuanced. For example, Japanese culture was strongly influence by China at all levels: language, alphabet, literature and religion, and at the same time they made their culture unique. Japanese are able to merge different religions and philosophies, such as Shinto, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism and, at a minor level, Christianity. They are devoted to Zen meditation and at the same time have a strong work ethic. In their daily life they look perfectly organised and yet are aware of the ephemeral quality of life symbolised by sakura, the cherry blossoms, whose beauty lasts only a few days, and their fading is considered more attractive than the blooming. Finally, their solid grip on traditions, their attention to rituals and ceremonies, the respect for ancestors and sense of loyalty that go together with a great technological development competing with and emulating the West.

Reading Matsuo Bashō’s haikus was a great inspiration and helped me to understand Japanese culture. The prints, textiles and paintings at the National Museum in Tokyo were also an interesting stimulation. This prompted some writing as well at the Woking Writing Circle where we discussed Japanese haikus, here is the link:
The journey to Japan opened my mind, inspired my writing, my art and my cooking (some Japanese recipes will follow on this blog), which made me understand that travelling can be a great source of knowledge and creativity as well as being fun.


2 comments:

  1. Dr Williams medicine was extremely helpful to my daughter. I have had a daughter with fibromyalgia for 21 years now , and my doctor have prescribe me with different kinds of western drugs without no improvement on my daughter symptoms . I am so glad I have found Dr Williams medicine (as I was surfing the net for a solution and saw a recommendation for it on a women's health forum early this year). I have felt so empowered by the knowledge you have given me and I quickly self diagnosed the individual causes of my daughter fibromyalgia and armed with his clear instructions, I was finally able to beat this monster, in less than 4 weeks of using dr Williams medication on my daughter. she went for checkup and it was clear that my daughter fibromyalgia were gone,you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    Thank you, thank you , thank you. Dr Williams "

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband left me for another woman after one year of our marriage. I needed him back desperately because i loved him so much. I became very worried and needed help. On this faithful day  as i was browsing through the internet, I came across a particular testimony about this good DR IROSI help get ex back fast and stop a divorce or breakup and so on , So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (return Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband came back to me crying and begging for my forgiveness. Today I’m so happy and i want to recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to his or her broken relationships and marriage email him at:(DRIROSISOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM) Simply contact the great “DR IROSI” If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you., do not cry anymore-contact this powerful spell caster now. Thank you DR IROSI for saving my broken relationships and brought my husband back to me!” email him at: (DRIROSISOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM) or call/whatsapp him via: +2348118829771.    

    ReplyDelete